3.15.2011

Instead Softcups, A Review

I'm back with another review. :) This time it's for a disposable menstrual cup called the Instead Softcup. They are available at most drugstores and groceries. Softcups are different than reusable menstrual cups because they have a domed shape rather than a bell shape. They're also made of a crinkly plastic sac, and a firm ring. They're quite pretty for a menstrual product.


The box comes with 24 cups and instructions. The company is developing "reusable" cups that can be used for one whole period, but I use one cup per period anyways. The new, "reusable" cups are only going to have two per box, but I may buy them if they make them more durable and easier to clean. If they are super durable I may clean and reuse them for several periods. But anyways onto the review. :)


The packaging of the box is very cute, and it comes with a lot of cups. Since I don't use these cups every cycle, I've had this same box for awhile. The construction of the box is nice because it's easy to open, grab a cup, and close. The cups are wrapped in purple plastic, and kind of feel like large condoms from the outside. (I only know this because a friend was looking through my purse and thought it was a condom...)

My box of insteads, which I've had for quite awhile.

To use a softcup you fold it and insert it. Then you have to make sure it hooks onto your cervix! The first time I tried one of these I didn't hook it onto my cervix and it slid around. Once inside the cup is very comfortable and I can't feel it at all. The ring seals to your vaginal wall, because it's heat sensitive, which I think is just so cool. I am able to wear this cup for 12 or more hours before it overflows. To remove the cup, you just hook a finger round the rim and pull it out. It helps to keep it carefully angled and upright so the cup doesn't spill. If you're going to throw the cup away, you just crumple up some toilet paper, stick it in the cup, wrap up the cup if you like, and throw it away. Although the company doesn't recommend it, these cups can be reused. They're easy to clean in a private bathroom; I just rinse mine with water and use an old toothbrush to get in the nooks and crannies. They are harder to clean in a public bathroom stall with only toilet paper.

This is how you fold a softcup for insertion.

A huge advantage to softcups is that they can be worn during intercourse. They're very similar in shape to a diaphragm so they wont get knocked over. It doesn't bother my partner during sex at all, and it makes PiV period sex a lot cleaner. Smaller, reusable silicone cups can technically be worn during sex, but they get knocked over easily. A disadvantage about softcups is that they are usually messy to remove. It took me a long time to get to a point where I could remove them without getting blood all over my hands. Softcups are recommended for one use, but a lot of women use one per period or multiple periods.

The purple wrapper

I've also turned one of my friends onto these cups, and she likes them too. I tend to use softcups only when I know I'm going to have intercourse on my period, because I prefer my reusable silicone cups. Reusable products appeal to me more, because I disliking restocking on menstrual supplies and paying the money for them. Basically I'm just a cheap-skate. ;) However, if I had to use disposable menstrual products I would always use softcups as opposed to tampons or pads.


Regardless, I find the softcups to be extremely comfortable, and they have never leaked. Sometimes when I go to the bathroom, they slide down and leak a little, but that's alright because it just goes into the toilet. Softcups are a great choice for women that don't want to use a reusable menstrual cup, but want some of the same benefits. Softcups are very comfortable during exercise, swimming, and sleeping. As well they don't cause an odor like pads and tampons can. TSS has not been linked to softcups, and they are less likely to cause infections.


The company has talked about developing a smaller size, targeted towards virgins and women with shorter vaginas. Softcups don't work for every woman, because they don't always fit every woman's internal anatomy. If you have a lower cervix, softcups may not be for you. A box costs about eight bucks for 24 cups, so at that price they're definitely worth a shot. :)


For more information about Instead Softcups see Softcup.com or my wikiHow article on "How to Use an Instead Softcup." Thanks for reading! Leave a comment if you've ever used softcups or are considering trying them. :)

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea but in practice this is too big for me. What's the reusable silicone cup you mentioned? Is it a diva cup or is there another product with the same shape as softcup?

    ReplyDelete